I’ve studied this one David. Simply put, I have to have faith “in” Jesus to be saved, and then God gives me the faith “of” Jesus and both ways, I can please God. With Jesus’ faith added to mine, it takes my faith and magnifies it a gazillion times over. The concept is simple but has been made complicated by the newer versions.
Simply put, when the Bible speaks of faith in Jesus Christ, it’s speaking about my faith. When the Bible says faith “of” Christ, it’s speaking about the faith our Lord has that’s imparted to us. In other words, His Faith. And it’s by the faith of Christ that justifies us before God. Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. I usually have to dumb it down for myself to understand certain things, so to me, justified means “Just if I had never sinned”! I can’t do it using the tiny amount of faith I have, so I’m given the power of the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ to be justified before God.
By taking away the faith “OF” our Lord and Savior, the new versions make it look like we are saving ourselves with our puny faith. The Faith of our Lord is the power (dynamite) we need to blast away the barrier between us and God. John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power (dunamis) to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
- Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: (KJV)
- Romans 3:22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, (NIV)
- Romans 3:22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all[a] who believe. For there is no difference; (NKJV)
- Romans 3:22 —that is, God’s righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ, to all who believe, since there is no distinction. (HCSB)
- Romans 3:22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (ESV)
It’s as if these translators are trying to water down the Gospel?