It says in 1 Timothy 2;11,12,13. That. …11.Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12.But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man,but to be in silence. 13. For Adam was first formed,then Eve. ……. I know several women that preach, (( and not trying to put you on the spot)) My question is ….Does it make it a sin?
Shannon, I can only answer your main question with a passage of scripture: James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
But you need to understand that each and every one of God’s children has the duty to preach the Gospel to every creature outside of the congregation. If you’re talking about women teaching or preaching to the men of the congregation, that would be wrong. Paul, who was a very important model of how we are to behave within the congregation said: 1 Timothy 2:11: Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. The Bible doesn’t say that a woman’s allowed to lead the congregation of the church! I’m assuming that you’re talking about pastors & deacons here. For a woman to fill one of these posts when there’s qualified and Spirit filled men to do these tasks is un-scriptural and against the very Word of God that they claim to be serving and preaching.
- 1st Timothy 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety. Plain and clear, isn’t it? Paul didn’t write this just to see his words on a piece of parchment! The woman was created from man as a Help Meet, someone to go thru life with him side by side. In the Garden of Eden, woman was deceived by the serpent! The man was not. The woman was created to think more with her heart and is very trusting. The man was not! Are you seeing what the Spirit is saying? And Paul wasn’t saying that if they have a baby, they’ll be saved. Lord no! But through the tenderness of her heart, she’ll receive the Lord as Savior. There’s nothing more tender than the heart of a mother.
- 1st Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. This is another plain and clear verse, isn’t it? No, it is not taken out of context because it is plainly speaking of the women learning in the church congregation.
There’s a very important work for the women to do in the church. Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
For a woman to fill a position in the church where she’s in authority over the men of the church is against the very Scriptures they want to stand for! The Scriptures use the title of bishop for pastor. Let’s see what the Scriptures say about the qualifications of the bishop are:
- 1st Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. Notice that “If a man”, not a woman is the subject of the verse!
- 1st Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; How can a woman be “the husband of one wife”? If she is, then she’s practicing homosexuality and defiantly out of God’s will! 1st Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God
- 1st Timothy 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; If she rules her own house then she is also out of God’s will because the head of the family is the man, not the woman! Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Were it not for my grandma Lydia Bell, and my great grandma Nannie Davis, little Timothy wouldn’t have been encouraged to be saved. Sure, my dad made it a point that every time the church doors were opened, he, mom, my brothers Mike and Jim, and myself, were in God’s house hearing the Gospel. But it was my grandmothers who spent a major amount of time nurturing me in the Lord that at 9 years old, I gave into the call for salvation. 2 Timothy 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
Your servant and pastor,